The Retreat House at
St. Benedict’s Monastery
'All guests who present themselves are to be welcomed as Christ,
for he himself will say, “I was a stranger and you welcomed me.”
~ Rule of St. Benedict'
1012 Monastery Road – Snowmass CO 81654
Telephone: 970-927-1162 e-mail: email@example.com
We are pleased to share the beauty, silence and solitude of our valley. We seek to provide an atmosphere and surroundings helpful in strengthening and deepening your spiritual life. Our Retreat House ministry is intended to share these values and practices with our guests. Our emphasis is on serving guests, who have these values at the core of their retreat experience.
The retreat facilities were designed and built to foster the spirit and practice of silence, solitude, meditation, and prayer. Individuals may come and enjoy the "Silence & Solitude" of our valley and the Retreat Facilities. Although the majority of space is often used by "groups", those not used are reserved for individuals to come and have an "individual retreat". (Those who come on "individual retreats" have their own "space" and are never assigined to "share" a hermitage or apartment. They may, of course, bring another person, since all spaces are equipped to accommodate two persons.)
We strive to provide a “welcoming” spirit to all who come. We do not, however, provide "directed" retreats for individuals or groups. You may request an appointment with a Monk for a short "conference", during your stay. (You will be notified after you arrive of the time and location of your meeting. You may make a request at any time after you have received your "Confirmation", for your stay.) There may be times when a monk is not available, due to their prayer & work schedule, to set up a meeting during the time of your stay.
Your time here is spent on activites and prayer that you are drawn to. The Monastic Community invites you to join them at three liturgies each day, Vigils (4:30 AM), Lauds/Mass (7:30 AM) and Vespers (7:00 PM) if you desire. You may join the community in the Main Monastery Chapel for these services.
The Main Retreat House is comprised of:
- Four guest apartments,- Library area - Small lounge & library
The Retreat House accommodates private retreat groups on a once-per-year basis. Individuals are also welcome to schedule private retreats during times of “Group Retreats”. Please be aware that there may also be a silent or “Group Retreat” in progress in the Main Retreat House. Entry into and use of the Main House is limited to those who are part of their “Group’s” retreat. Others are asked to limit their entry to the Main Building only to use the telephones or to visit the Guestmaster’s office. When there is not a “Group Retreat” in session in the Main House, all guests are welcome to use the Main House, library and prayer hall at any time. Individual guests are also welcome to use the Guests’ Meditation Room in the guest wing of the monastery. (Please See GROUP Retreat Information on this site)
- Group Retreat’s kitchen & dining room
Inside Prayer Hall-Beams in Copula
- All of the “rooms”/ hermitages are set up for double occupancy, with two, twin-long single beds.
- Each room and hermitage has a private bath and fully equipped kitchen with stove, oven, microwave,
refrigerator/freezer, toaster, and coffeemaker. (De-Caf & Regular Coffee is provided & stored in the Refrigerator for
- Individual retreat guests prepare their own meals. (We are not staffed to provide individual’s meals in the Retreat
House. Groups provide for their meals.)
- Each kitchen is fully equipped with all necessary cookware and dinnerware for meal preparation and service.
- Units are stocked with regular and decaf coffee and a few basic spices. Generic hand soap is provided as well as dish
- All other food is brought here by the individual guest. (Most shop at a local grocery on the way to the retreat house,
while others bring food from home.)
- Bed linens and towels, and "generic" soap, for two people, are provided in each room and hermitage.
Four Hermitages are Rectangle Shaped> St Bernard, St Aelred, Atlas Martyrs & St Joseph
4 HERMITAGEs Octagonal Shaped
Wooden Archway "Gate" (Monastery is "framed" in Arch) Three bedroom Gate House (one twin bed/per room)
- Reservations for space in the Retreat House can be made up to 11 months in advance of the
time you wish to come. (Except for June, July & August, these dates come available
after the middle of April) (after 25 April 14 for summer 2014)
- All available "open time" is published on our website, under Available Dates- Individual
- To reserve a room, you may call the Guestmaster at (970) 927-1162 or email:
- In order to provide the maximum opportunity for many people to enjoy this environment,
guests are asked to have only one reservation, active in our system, at any time.
- Guests may generally stay a maximum, of ten, and a minimum of two nights. Open dates for
- All accommodations are on a "first come" basis. Space can not be held without a formal
"reservation", including registration information & formal "confirmation" from us. We would be
pleased to complete any reservations, should the dates remain available upon your confirmation
Items to note:
The most accessible EMERGENCY CONTACT PHONE NUMBER: (970) 927-1377 (Located in the Main Retreat House Kitchen, near the back door)
This number has an answering machine, not monitored by the staff. If people need to contact you on an Indvidual retreat, please check this phone
for your messages.
To help foster the atmosphere of contemplation and prayer the following items are not readily available:
- Phones* (no phones in any rooms/heritages) (There are two public phones in the Main Retreat House, near the main entrance. Long distance calls require a
"telephone credit card/calling card")
- Cell phone reception is not dependable (The closest "reliable" cell phone area is on Capitol Creek Road, as you enter the Monastery grounds.)
- Internet* (Only "dial-up" connection, via modem & either your or our account, is available in the Main House phone room.)
- Wireless access* - Guests requiring Internet access may use our public computer (dial-up internet access) in the main Retreat House.
Hermitages do not have phone lines in the hermitages or rooms. (Two phone lines are available near the entrance in
the Main Retreat House.)
There is no wireless service in the Retreat House. There are no fax machines available for guest use.
*The office equipment in the Guestmaster’s office is not available for guest use at any time.
- Laundry facilities - unavailable on the Monastery grounds.
- Pets are NOT permitted in the facilities or on the Retreat House grounds. (The Retreat complex is located in a "game migration
corridor".) Only "Service dogs" are permitted with their owners, per the ADA.
-There is no established “fee” for your time with us. We rely on the generosity of our guests to meet expenses.
- An “offering” of $60 per night [***"IRS fair market value" of goods or services received) is suggested if used by an individual only (single occupancy),
$80 ["IRS fair market value" of goods or services received] per double occupancy ($40/per person.)
- Even if you are not able to make an offering, you are still most welcome to come.
- A one-time, non-refundable registration "donation/deposit" of $40 for each room is part of the confirmation process. (The registration
donation is considered a part of your "retreat offering" and is not a separate or additional "fee".)
- Deposit is by check, money order, or any major credit card. Please call the Guestmaster's Office
to use your credit card for donations or deposits.
per each night's stay is $60 for single occupancy and $80/double occupancy ($40 per person/night) in each room or hermitage.
E.G. An individual stays two nights and leaves a $150 "Offering". The "fair-market value" of the "stay" is $120.
The Tax Deductible donation would then be $30 ($150 offering - $120 fair-market value = $30 tax deductible "donation".)
Contributions that "exceed" the "fair-market value" by more than $250, will also receive a letter confirming their donation, from the Monastery. See: IRS Publication 526 “Charitable Contributions”
The rooms are available anytime after 2 PM the day of arrival. Checkout is by 10:00 AM on the day of departure. The "registration" is completed "online" or by "phone" or U.S. MAIL.
Your name will appear on the "Guest List" on the Main Retreat House "inner glass, right door" and you will then proceed to your accommodation.
(Please bring a flashlight if arriving after dark. They are "spare" flashlights in the vestibule area of the Main Retreat House entrance.) Go through the Main Retreat House wooden doors (see below) and the glass doors are just inside.
Liturgy with the MONKS
All retreatants and day visitors are welcome to attend liturgy with the monks in the Monastery Chapel.
4:30 AM Vigils (every day including Sunday)
7:30 AM Lauds & Mass (On Thursdays, only Lauds)
7:00 PM Vespers (On Thursdays, Vespers & Mass)
Sunday Mass is at 8:15 AM all year.
There is no public Sunday Vespers.
(Some services on Holidays are at different times. Please check with the Guestmaster's Office if you are staying over a major holiday.)
The monastery has a bookstore with a wide selection of reading material, cookies from our bakery, various items made in other monasteries, as well as a few commercial vendors.
The Bookstore is open all day and operates on the “honor system”.
We are normally unable to accept credit cards at the Bookstore from the general public .
[Those staying with us may use their credit cards to purchase items by contacting the Guestmaster's Office at the Retreat House.]
The BOOKSTORE is in the Main Monastery, follow the signs to the "Chapel".
Mt. Sopris- 12,953'
The Retreat House elevation is about 8,000 feet. During the summer months daytime temperatures are normally in the 70s, with afternoon showers always a possibility. Night temperatures can dip into the 40s and 50s. In winter we may have snow, and day temperatures may reach the 30s or 40s, while evening temperatures may dip well below freezing. Sub-zero temperatures are rare, but possible. This is mountainous country, and the monastery is approximately ¾ of a mile from the Retreat House down a moderate sloping road.
The Retreat House accommodates private retreat groups and individuals on a once-per-year basis. Individuals are also welcome to schedule private retreats. Please be aware that there may also be a silent or “group retreat” in progress in the Main Retreat House. Entry into and use of the Main House is limited to those who are part of their “Group’s” retreat. Others are asked to limit their entry to the Main Building only to use the telephones or to visit the Guestmaster’s office, during periods of Group Retreats. When there is not a “Group Retreat” in session in the Main House, all guests are welcome to use the Main House, library and prayer hall at any time. Individual guests are also welcome to use the Guests’ Meditation Room in the guest wing of Monastery.
Access- Disabled people have access to the Main Retreat House and the Monastery, including the Atrium to the Chapel. Parking, ramp access to the Main House and entrance are designed to help facilitate access. We maintain one barrier free "apartment" in the Main Retreat House that is set up for those who would prefer the more spacious bathroom and fixtures, lower closets & shelves and a more accessible kitchen area. Access to the Monastery is also available. Please contact the Guestmaster's Office to find specific information on those facilities or special accommodations you may require.